WHAT IS VRLAB ?
VRLAB is an artistic initiative consisting of the establishment of a laboratory whose objectives are:
– Technological watch on the fields of virtual reality and alternate realities.
– Make the connection between art and these areas.
– Establishment of events (conferences, demonstrations, exhibitions …) involved in creating a dynamic reflection and production.
– Creation and production of projects, group exhibition initiative, performance, installation.
– Partnerships with scientific laboratories, universities, production structures, arts centers and exhibition spaces, private companies.
THE ORIGIN ?
David Guez is the origin of this project, with the aim to bring an open team whose members are from different fields (editors, coders, designers, 3D, electronic engineers, researchers, producers, broadcasters, artists).
THE VIRTUAL WORLD
A virtual world can be defined today by a digital creation, often a 3D world, offering limited interactivity with a keyboard, a joystick and screen. The virtual world is thus always included in the real world as part of the actual landscape, a greater or less window but remains in the temporal and spatial geometry of the real world.
In 2014, the involvement of big business and web 2 video game for the creation of devices that fully immerse the look in virtual worlds is impressive: Acquisition of the Oculus Rift by Facebook with the launch of a VR helmet beginning 2015 launch of the VR helmet Sony PS4 to the end of 2015, launch of the VR helmet Samsung in September 2014 adapted his mobile phone note 4 Google, Microsoft & Google, are creating their own helmet adapted to mobile phones …
These commitments by the industrial world may change significantly access to these virtual worlds by changing the entire ecosystem (since the design of the universe to their distribution). It seems obvious that will be taken into account the following concepts:
– Ability to create worlds accessible by tens of thousands of people.
– Creation of tangible interfaces that will complete the illusion of eyes (gloves, shoes, carpets, heat sensors, clammy, heart rate …)
– Maturity in the short term quality of these helmets and their extensions (4K HD screens, fast processor, multiple sensors, latency destroyed).
– Tools cheap, public and open source, to unite communities.
CHANGE OF PERSPECTIVE
These new interfaces offer increased vision match, from an aesthetic point of view, a true paradigm shift in the concept of perspective.
Testing the Google Glass and headset Oculus Rift virtual reality, the first idea that came to mind was that this table Giorgio Martini (the ideal city to Urbino – 1470) which marks the discovery of the perspective in painting. I really think that we are technologically ready to completely change our time “look” on the concept of perspective. The question could almost be summarized as: What happens if our vision is found in situations where reality is perfectly copied, where the interfaces and sensors make us feel the same sensations as in reality, our brain is completely lured by these images? We could almost speak of a 4D perspective or that extra dimension that would eventually be the complete immersion in 3D (to follow our example in Table Giorgio, we could say for example that we would then be “in the table” before the ideal city to Urbino). Obviously, it is not about to make a stupid copy and paste between classic theoretical perspective and 3D perspective but increased the field of art has always wondered about the image and our relationship to the image, crossing aesthetic and sensitive body between the abstract virtual / real body and contemporary /. These questions virtual body interfaces recordings and the notion of interactivity man / machine are obviously not new in the field of art but I think that fundamentally changes today is the possible combination between a mature technological power and a mass phenomenon and the general public in the forthcoming democratization VR helmets. To summarize, we could say that the VR helmet will become the next great public interface that will connect the different worlds that we know and therefore offer a real “new worldview.”
Toni Serge-Richard, Président
Merryl Messaoudi – Crossed Lab
LEVITATION WILL BE PRESENT AT THESE EVENTS :
– LAVAL VIRTUAL
– MAC CRETEIL
– MAISON DES ARTS ENGHIENS-LES-BAINS
2015 MAY 4 / 6PM-8.30PM
EVENT 2015 MARCH 2015
Inscription (max to 80 people)
Event of the 28 NOV 2014 IN La Gaité Lyrique
Inscribe here to receive infos about our next event.